Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Week 8 Post!

Reading Response: 

Arjuna's experience or dilemma while fighting in the war is a noble one.  I feel like it resembles some of the thoughts that people in the U.S. civil war would have felt, fighting their kin in battle.  It was really important what Krishna said however, that Arjuna should " follow his dharma, or duty, where nothing is higher than the war against evil". I feel a similar struggle with my decision to join the Air Force.  When I was much younger, I wanted to join the Air Force because I wanted to fly, I didn't care about killing people or even helping anyone for that matter. I wanted wings. (And at that time, red bull had not been invented). Anyways, it was only as I got older that I realized that my dream job was in fact a profession of arms and required a great deal of discipline in war.  During bootcamp we weren't brainwashed like many people think, but instead we were told that in our profession, when we take that oath, we are sworn to fight all enemies foreign and domestic.  We picked apart every part of the oath of office and the airmen's creed which basically tells you what you are supposed to do if you become a POW/MIA.  Nevertheless, it was good exposure for me to understand that my future career will not be any kind of child's play. Lives are at stake.  Well that sort of reminded me of Arjuna's experience on the battle field.  I hope I never have to choke like that though. 
I really liked the portrayal of Krishna.  He seemed so selfless, almost to the point that it wasn't attainable as a mortal for Arjuna.  He explains pretty simply though how to serve others and put aside selfish desires for the true gift which keeps giving. It seemed kind of daunting however about how to achieve the state of Brahman.  I guess its not supposed to be simple but it requires a lot of selfless action, almost like an ascetic. 

Practice Response: 

I really enjoyed our practice of yoga this week.  I don't know how but I think I am getting more flexible slowly but surely.  I felt really proud of myself when I could do the arm twists with such ease.  I guess Dr. Schultz was right, those are the poses god blessed me with. Now if only I could become more flexible in my legs.  I still dislike doing head stand more than shoulder stand. But I guess that's understandable considering its more pressure on your head.  I just have a hard time swinging my legs up over my head to get into the pose.  If someone helps me get into the stance I have absolutely no problem from there on, but its very difficult to get in the right position.  I wonder if it has something to do with my placement in regards to the wall?




No comments:

Post a Comment